Site overview

Melin Llidiart, also known as Capel Coch Mill or Melin Llwydiarth, is a former tower windmill at the south end of Capel Coch. It is one of the earliest recorded windmills on Anglesey and began grinding grain on 24 October 1738. The present three-storey circular tower is probably mid eighteenth-century and stands almost to full height.

It was recorded in nineteenth-century ownership and tenancy documents, including the 1842 tithe apportionment and an 1853 auction. Hugh Prichard ran the mill until his death in 1885, after which his widow Jane continued the business with Hugh Hughes as miller. The mill was badly damaged by storms at the end of the nineteenth century and did not work again.

It later became an outbuilding and has since been roofed and refurbished.

Map

Map markers and directions links are provided for location reference only and do not indicate public access or permission to enter a site.
No site photograph is currently available. Images will be added as field visits are carried out.

History

Melin Llidiart stands set back from the west side of the road running north through Capel Coch, at the south end of the village. It is also known as Capel Coch Mill or Melin Llwydiarth. The name Melin Llidiart is used in specialist windmill sources, while local usage has often associated the tower with Capel Coch.

The mill is one of the earliest recorded windmills on Anglesey. William Bulkeley's diary recorded that it started grinding grain on 24 October 1738, during the mid eighteenth-century period when drought conditions encouraged the construction of wind-powered mills on the island. The present tower is a full-height, three-storey circular windmill tower of mortared sandstone rubble masonry, partly rendered and now roofless in the Cadw description. It has a doorway facing the road to the east and rectangular upper-floor window openings with rough voussoir heads.

The nineteenth-century history of the mill is comparatively well recorded. In 1821 Llidiart Twrcelyn, the property on which the mill stood, was leased by William Prichard Lloyd to William Rowlands. By 1839 it was owned by Richard Rowlands, who left it to his son Richard. The 1842 tithe apportionment listed Richard Rowlands as both owner and occupier, and the tithe map unusually depicted the windmill itself. In 1853 the mill, adjoining dwelling house, and drying kiln were put up for auction and were bought by John Griffiths of Llanfechell. The sale description referred to recent building, although the recorded 1738 milling date suggests either earlier rebuilding or a more complex site history.

By 1861 Hugh Prichard was miller. He continued to run the mill until his death in 1885. His widow Jane took over, employing Hugh Hughes as miller. The mill was listed in Slater's Directory in 1883 with Hugh Prichard as miller, and by the 1895 directory his wife had taken over. Not long after that entry, storms damaged the cap and sails so badly that the mill did not work again. The tower slowly deteriorated and became overgrown, but the surrounding land was later cleared and the structure again became prominent. Planning proposals for conversion were made in the twenty-first century, and by 2017 the tower had been roofed and refurbished with a two-storey extension under construction. Melin Llidiart was listed at Grade II in 1970 as a substantially intact windmill tower and one of the earliest surviving windmills recorded on Anglesey.

Timeline

1738

Grinding began

Melin Llidiart started grinding grain on 24 October 1738.
1750–1775

Tower mill built

The present three-storey tower is thought to date to the mid eighteenth century.
1821

Llidiart Twrcelyn leased

The property on which the mill stood was leased by William Prichard Lloyd to William Rowlands.
1842

Tithe apportionment recorded

The 1842 tithe apportionment listed Richard Rowlands as owner and occupier, and the accompanying map depicted the windmill.
1853

Mill auctioned

The mill, adjoining dwelling house, and drying kiln were put up for auction and bought by John Griffiths of Llanfechell.
1861–1885

Hugh Prichard millership

Hugh Prichard was miller by 1861 and ran Melin Llidiart until his death in 1885.
1895

Jane Prichard took over

By the 1895 directory Hugh Prichard's widow Jane had taken over the mill.
1895–1900

Storm damage ended working

Storms at the end of the nineteenth century destroyed the cap and sails, and the mill did not work again.
1970

Listed building designation

Melin Llidiart was designated as a Grade II listed building.
2011

Conversion permission advertised

The tower was offered for sale with planning permission for conversion and a two-storey extension.
2017

Refurbishment ongoing

By summer 2017 the tower had been roofed and refurbished, with work continuing on a two-storey extension.

Sources and records

Cadw listed building record
Anglesey History article
Archaeological report on The Old Mill, Capel Coch
Welsh Mills Society listed windmills gazetteer
Windmill World site entry
Mills Archive record