Site overview
High Salvington Windmill, also known as Durrington Mill, stands above Worthing at High Salvington. A mill was present on the site by 1724, and the present post mill was built around 1750. It worked for the Worthing area until 1897.
Worthing Borough Council bought the mill in 1959, and restoration returned it to full working order.
Map
History
High Salvington Windmill stands at High Salvington, above Worthing. A mill was present on the site by the early eighteenth century, and the present post mill was built around 1750. It worked as a corn mill for the Worthing area.
The mill has a single-storey roundhouse, a wooden windshaft with a cast-iron poll end, two common sails, two spring sails, and two pairs of millstones. It worked until 1897, when it was purchased by Colonel T F Wisden. In 1907-1908 the earlier timber roundhouse was replaced by a concrete structure, later used as a tea room.
Worthing Borough Council bought the mill in 1959, and Edwin Hole carried out restoration work in the early 1960s. Later restoration replaced the roundhouse with a wooden form closer to the earlier arrangement and returned the post mill to full working order.
Timeline
Present post mill built
Mill insured against fire
Commercial milling ended
Concrete roundhouse built
Mill bought by council
Restoration work undertaken
Sources and records
High Salvington Windmill official restoration history
High Salvington Windmill article
Mills Archive entry: High Salvington Windmill
List of windmills in West Sussex