Site overview
Norton Lindsey Windmill is a small brick tower mill on Wolverton Road, Norton Lindsey. It was built in the late eighteenth or early nineteenth century, with 1795 and 1808 both appearing in site histories. The three-storey red-brick tower has a slight batter and a timber cap.
It had four common sails, two pairs of stones and main internal machinery. Steam power was added in 1889, and the mill last worked in 1906. The surviving tower was listed at Grade II in 1967.
Map
History
Norton Lindsey Windmill was built as a brick tower corn mill in the late eighteenth or early nineteenth century. The structure is a small three-storey tapered red-brick tower, about 12.8 metres high and 5.5 metres in diameter at the base. Its working arrangement included four common sails, a boat cap with luffing wheel, two pairs of stones and main internal machinery. A pulley wheel on the outside was associated with steam drive.
Steam power was added in 1889, extending the mill's powered working beyond wind alone. The mill last worked in 1906. After milling ceased, the tower survived with its timber cap and parts of the sail structure. It was listed at Grade II in 1967 as a disused windmill immediately south of Mill House. The building remains a notable surviving tower mill structure in Norton Lindsey.
Timeline
Steam power added
Milling ceased
Grade II listing
Sources and records
Warwickshire Historic Environment Record: Norton Lindsey Windmill
Our Warwickshire catalogue entry: Norton Lindsey Windmill
Windmill World entry: Norton Lindsey windmill
Mills Archive catalogue entry: Tower mill, Norton Lindsey