Site overview
Skidby Windmill was built in 1821 and was raised to its present five-storey height in 1870. It worked commercially until 1966, latterly with electric rollers for animal feed while continuing to produce stoneground flour. The mill was transferred to local authority ownership for preservation and reopened in 1974 as a working museum.
It remains a Grade II* listed windmill and a public museum site.
Map
History
Skidby Windmill was built in 1821 on the eastern edge of Skidby. The mill was originally constructed by Norman and Smithson of Hull and was later extended to five storeys in 1870. It worked as a wind-powered flour mill and was fitted with four sails.
During its later commercial life the business adapted to changing demand. In 1954 the sack hoist was removed and an electric-powered grain elevator was installed so that the tower could also be used as a grain store. In 1962 Skidby Mill and Welton water mill were bought by Associated British Foods, and modern animal-feed machinery was installed.
Commercial operation ceased in 1966. Eric Thompson transferred the mill to Beverley Rural District Council for the nominal sum of £1 so that it could be preserved for public use. The restored mill reopened in 1974 as a working museum.
It later passed to East Riding of Yorkshire Council and remains a Grade II* listed tower windmill with museum use.
Timeline
Mill raised to five storeys
Electric grain handling installed
Associated British Foods ownership
Commercial milling ceased
Preservation transfer agreed
Working museum opened
Sources and records
East Riding Museums: Skidby Mill Bicentenary
Historic England National Heritage List entry: Skidby Mill
Skidby Parish Council entry: The Miller
Wikipedia article: Skidby Windmill