Site overview

Holgate Windmill was built by George Waud in 1770 and was working by October of that year. The brick tower mill was later raised and modernised, with steam power added in 1859 and an electric motor installed in 1930. Wind milling ended after storm damage, and all milling ceased in 1933.

The mill was later restored by Holgate Windmill Preservation Society, received a new cap in 2009 and new sails in 2011, and reopened as a working mill in 2012.

Map

Map markers and directions links are provided for location reference only and do not indicate public access or permission to enter a site.
No site photograph is currently available. Images will be added as field visits are carried out.

History

Holgate Windmill was built in 1770 by George Waud, who had bought the land on 27 December 1768. By October 1770 the mill was working, with Waud living in the mill house with his family. The site was then open countryside above Holgate, close to roads bringing grain from local farms towards York.

George Waud, his son, and his grandson ran the mill until 1851. The mill was sold to John Musham and then to Joseph Peart. In 1859 a new granary was built, a steam engine was installed, and the tower was raised by an extra floor to improve the mill's working capacity.

In 1930 a large electric motor replaced the steam plant, and the chimney and boiler house were removed. Storm damage later ended wind-powered milling, and milling by electric motor ceased in 1933. York Corporation bought the mill in 1939, when a new white cap was fitted.

Holgate Windmill Preservation Society was formed in 2001. Restoration began in 2006, a new cap with brake wheel, windshaft, sheers, iron cross, and fantail rack was craned onto the tower in 2009, and five new sails were fitted in 2011. The restored mill officially opened in 2012 and works again as a flour-producing tower mill.

Timeline

1768

George Waud bought the site

George Waud bought the land on which Holgate Windmill was built.
1770

Holgate Windmill built

Holgate Windmill was built by George Waud and was working by October 1770.
1859

Steam power added

A new granary was built, a steam engine was installed, and the tower was raised by an extra floor.
1930

Electric motor installed

A large electric motor was installed to replace the steam engine.
1933

Milling ceased

Milling by electric motor ceased entirely.
1939

Corporation ownership

York Corporation bought the mill and a new white cap was fitted.
2001

Preservation society formed

Holgate Windmill Preservation Society was formed to restore the mill.
2009

New cap fitted

A new cap with brake wheel, windshaft, sheers, iron cross, and fantail rack was craned onto the tower.
2011

New sails fitted

Five new sails were fitted to the restored mill.
2012

Restored mill opened

The restored working mill officially opened.

Sources and records

Holgate Windmill Preservation Society: About the mill
Holgate Windmill Preservation Society: Mill Training Guide
Holgate Windmill Preservation Society: An introduction to Holgate Windmill
Historic England National Heritage List entry: Holgate Windmill
Wikipedia article: Holgate Windmill