Site overview

Felin Wynt, formerly known as Melin Llangoed, is a former tower windmill north of Llangoed. It was erected by Henry Williams in 1741 and is one of the earliest tower mills on Anglesey. In 1787 it was sold with adjoining farmland to John Hughes of Caernarfon.

The mill was auctioned in 1842 and was occupied by Reverend William John Lewis, before passing to the local landowner Major Chadwick, who rented the mill, cottage, and farmland to Owen Jones. Owen Jones was recorded as miller in 1883 and retained the tenancy until the mill closed in 1921. In 1926 most metalwork was removed for scrap, except the cast-iron windshaft.

In 1960 Stanley Flory bought the empty shell and installed a water tank in the hollow tower.

Map

Map markers and directions links are provided for location reference only and do not indicate public access or permission to enter a site.
No site photograph is currently available. Images will be added as field visits are carried out.

History

Felin Wynt stands north-north-west of Llangoed, set back from the north side of the country road between Penmon and Glan-yr-afon. It was formerly known as Melin Llangoed and is one of the earliest surviving tower windmills on Anglesey.

The mill was erected by Henry Williams in 1741. In 1787 it was sold, together with the adjacent farmland, to John Hughes of Caernarfon. The next documented phase belongs to the mid nineteenth century. The mill was auctioned for sale in 1842 and was occupied by Reverend William John Lewis. It was then recorded as the property of Major Chadwick, a prosperous local landowner, who rented out the mill, cottage, and farmland to Owen Jones.

Owen Jones was recorded as miller in 1883 and retained the tenancy until the mill closed in 1921. Five years later, in 1926, all the metalwork was removed for scrap except the cast-iron windshaft. The former mill then stood as an empty shell for more than three decades.

In 1960 the tower was bought by Stanley Flory, a civil engineer who had worked on the Shanghai Waterworks. He used his engineering experience to install a water tank in the hollow tower, providing water for his house at Tan-y-Felin. During the conversion, the old windshaft was reused to help support an internal floor, and a spiral staircase was installed to give access to a viewing platform at the top of the tower. Felin Wynt was listed at Grade II in 1968 and was amended in 2002. Its special interest lies in the survival and adaptive reuse of one of Anglesey's early tower mills.

Timeline

1741

Windmill erected

Felin Wynt, formerly known as Melin Llangoed, was erected by Henry Williams.
1787

Mill and farmland sold

The windmill and adjoining farmland were sold to John Hughes of Caernarfon.
1842

Mill auctioned

The mill was auctioned for sale and was occupied by Reverend William John Lewis.
1883

Owen Jones recorded as miller

Owen Jones was recorded as miller and tenant of the mill, cottage, and farmland.
1921

Mill closed

Felin Wynt closed in 1921 after Owen Jones had retained the tenancy into the early twentieth century.
1926

Metalwork removed

All the metalwork was removed for scrap except the cast-iron windshaft.
1960

Converted to water tower

Stanley Flory bought the empty shell and installed a water tank in the hollow tower to supply his house at Tan-y-Felin.
1968

Listed building designation

Felin Wynt was designated as a Grade II listed building.
2002

Listed building amendment

The listed building record for Felin Wynt was amended.

Sources and records

Cadw listed building record
British Listed Buildings entry
Welsh Mills Society listed windmills gazetteer
Windmill World site entry
Mills Archive record