Site overview

Tide Mills was a tidal flour-milling complex at Bishopstone, between Newhaven and Seaford. Thomas Pelham, Duke of Newcastle, obtained parliamentary authority for the tide mill site in the 1760s. The mill was completed in 1788 and later enlarged under Thomas Barton and the Catt family.

By the mid-nineteenth century the mill supported a substantial worker settlement. Milling ended in 1883, the buildings were later used as bonded warehouses, and the mill was demolished in 1901. Ruins of the village and mill landscape remain on the coast.

Map

Map markers and directions links are provided for location reference only and do not indicate public access or permission to enter a site.
No site photograph is currently available. Images will be added as field visits are carried out.

History

Tide Mills developed on the Bishopstone foreshore between Newhaven and Seaford after Thomas Pelham, Duke of Newcastle, obtained authority in the 1760s to use the site for tidal milling. Construction began in 1762 and the mill was completed in 1788. By 1791 it contained five pairs of stones and could produce 130 quarters of wheat each week.

Storm damage affected the exposed coastal site in 1792. Thomas Barton later improved the mill and built a new three-storey mill building housing sixteen pairs of stones, greatly increasing output. William Catt subsequently managed the mill, and the surrounding settlement expanded with workers' cottages and a school.

In 1851 around sixty men worked at the mill. A railway siding later connected the site to the Newhaven to Seaford line, helping move flour towards Newhaven for shipment. The mill closed in 1883 and was used as bonded warehouses before being pulled down in 1901.

The wider village was condemned during the 1930s, vacated by 1939 and cleared or damaged during wartime use. The site now survives as a ruined coastal industrial and settlement landscape.

Timeline

1762

Construction began

Construction of the Bishopstone tidal mill began after parliamentary authority was obtained for the foreshore site.
1788

Mill completed

The tidal flour mill was completed at Bishopstone.
1791

Five pairs of stones

The mill contained five pairs of stones and could produce 130 quarters of wheat each week.
1792

Storm damage

A violent storm destroyed quantities of flour and wheat at the exposed mill site.
1800

Barton and Catt partnership period

Thomas Barton and Edmund Catt were associated with the mill before their partnership ended in 1801.
1851

Large milling workforce

Around sixty men worked at the mill, and many lived in cottages around the site.
1883

Mill closed

The tidal flour mill closed in 1883.
1901

Mill demolished

The former mill building was pulled down in 1901 after use as bonded warehouses.
1936–1939

Village clearance

Part of the Tide Mills settlement was declared unfit for habitation in 1936, and the last residents left by 1939.

Sources and records

Tide Mills Project history
South Downs National Park Authority article
Our Newhaven Tide Mills project entry
Tide Mills, East Sussex article
Abandoned Communities Tide Mills history
Sussex Mills Group Bishopstone Tidemills article